If you are a person who uses headphones a lot, you probably already know that some issues might occur from time to time. For example, some users reported headphones that were not working in Windows 8, despite the fact that they worked perfectly with other devices and Windows 8.
If you have the same problem you might notice that the headphone jack doesn’t even show up when you go to device manager, despite the fact that the microphone does show up. Today we will show you how you can fix this problem.
Set the headphones as default
One way to solve this problem could be by setting the headphones as default. In order to do that you have to follow these steps:
- Go to the system tray and then right click on the volume icon there.
- Click “Recording device”
- The popped up window should have a blank space, right click on that as well.
- Then, select “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices”
- You should be able to see Headphone there. Click on it and then click “Enable”
- Select the microphone and then click “Set as Default Device”
- Press Apply and then OK.
- Connect your headphones and see if the problem is still there.
Disable the monitor sound
Another way to try and fix this problem could be by disabling the monitor sound. Here is how you can do that.
- Once again go to the system tray and then right click the volume icon.
- This time instead of clicking on “Recording devices” go to “Playback devices”
- Disable the monitor sound
- Re-enable the sound after a couple of seconds
- Close everything and plug in your headphones.
- This time the sound should go to your headphones instead of your monitor and the problem should be solved.